A lot of people are worried about the health of their teeth, generally they ask questions like:
- Have I got cavity?
- Would I need a root canal?
- Would my children require braces as they grow up?
- How can I make my teeth white?
- Do you recommend using and electronic tooth brush?
It is very important to maintain your oral hygiene. Teeth are one of the most important features of one’s personality. The key aspect of every dazzling personality lie in the perfection of his/her smile. Maintaining that might seem simple but it takes a lot of continuous effort.
Getting up one fine morning and finding swollen bloody gums can create a lot of stress. The most common symptom of unhealthy gums is when you see blood come out of them, this is nature’s way of telling you that your gums need some serious attention. When the immune system fights against bacterial infections it causes bloody gums.
Importance of healthy gums
Good look is not the only reason to keep healthy teeth but in fact it’s very important to keep the teeth in perfect condition or else it might get you in serious trouble. Oral hygiene includes healthy teeth and gums. Teeth with disease not only look bad but also ruins your life. Maintaining healthy teeth is critical for keeping other body functions in good shape. It is pertinent to note that before major serious surgeries like heart bypass etc. doctors have to consult if the patient have had a go ahead from their dentist or not. That is because everything in our body is liked to each other. Doctors have found out that gum diseases are sometimes linked with diabetes and unhealthy gums may even lead to coronary diseases.
Protecting your smile
Unhealthy teeth and gums if untreated may result in tooth loss, no one like the idea of having dentures or false teeth not to mention the constant stress it will cause the rest of your life. Losing teeth is not only painful but it also takes away the very basic way of enjoying your life. Barbeques, parties and having mouthwatering food is the simplest and most effective way on enjoying with those you love. Any disease in the teeth or gums takes away all that fun in the blink of an eye.
Symptoms to look out for
A lot of hassle can be avoided by looking out for certain symptoms of unhealthy teeth and gums, these are:
- Gums that easily bleed during brushing or flossing are unhealthy
- Swollen tender and red gums can be sign of periodontal disease
- Bacterial infection can cause chronic bad breath, do not take bad breath lightly.
- Loose teeth are sign of infected gums.
If you have any of the above consult your dentist right away so he/she can determine if you have any serious problem. Early diagnoses and treatment can save you a lot of trouble and it can also save your hard earned money.
Types of Periodontal Diseases and their treatment
There are a variety of periodontal diseases however the most common among them are gingivitis and periodontitis.
- Gingivitis is inflammation of gums caused by abundance of gum disease causing bacteria in your mouth this if untreated can lead to periodontitis
- Periodontitis causes loss of bone that supports your teeth. This can causes pockets or spaces between your teeth which can become heaves for bacteria and infection. If untreated periodontitis can eventually lead to tooth loss.
The treatment of periodontal diseases depends on the conditions. Simple / early stages gingivitis can be cured if through mouth rinses prescribed by your Kennewick Dentist once he has carried out initial treatment. However if the disease has spread you might need deep cleaning (scaling) or advanced surgical treatment like bone and tissue grafting or laser surgery.